Sunday, February 22, 2009

should you add IQ or Myers Briggs to your resume?

A reader writes:

Applicants always want their resume to stand out. Well, I know that a few of the companies I have worked for know of the Myers-Briggs Personality Type test. Although it is not seen as "professional" (yet), I have seen it posted in many settings and have even seen workshops on this stuff.

Would this be a good thing to add to a resume to make it stand out?

By that same token, would an IQ score be something to add? I mean, it is a test of problem solving and reasoning, which are valuable skills in the workplace.

No! Do not under any circumstances put your IQ on your resume. You will look pompous (assuming it's high), weird, and ... just strange. If you are smart, count on it to come across on its own in your materials, your achievements, and your interview.

Don't put your Myers-Briggs type either, unless you're in a field where it's widely considered useful currency. I don't know what those fields are or if there even are any, but if one exists and you're in it, presumably you'll know. But otherwise, you risk appearing a little cheesy to some (although probably not all) resume readers. I suppose you can mention it in your cover letter if it's somehow highly relevant to the needs of the job, but leave it off the resume. (But I bet someone will disagree with me on this, and I'm looking forward to reading their reasoning in the comments.)

Resumes are for listing your accomplishments; they're not for personal traits. Listing that you're an "ESTJ" does give me some information about you, but it doesn't tell me what you've achieved and experienced, which is what I'm looking for when I look at your resume.

Anyone want to argue the opposite?

No comments:

Post a Comment